Tuesday, December 27, 2005

viva la salsa!

Moving over from my livejournal page...wanted to post pictures without paying.

A friend asked me yesterday if I have ever dated in the New York Salsa Scene and in three years of obsessive dancing I haven't. It seems counter-intuitive on one level, it would seem to make sense to date people you share irrational obsessions with but part of the reason I like dancing is that there isn't all the baggage of trying to rap to chicks and dealing with all that stress. Its really just dancing which is nice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly beating off hot-ass salseras with a stick (though I've been told that I have the FOBby asian akward asian female salsa dancing demographic locked down) but its nice to not have any baggage out on the floor.

It reminded me of a funny question that Alberto, one of the new members of my dance troupe asked me a few weeks ago. He said "honestly, how many asian girls do you pick up becaue of salsa?"
I haven't (not that I've really tried). (if you don't know me-I am the lone Asian in an almost entirely latino salsa dance troupe) and I thought the shit was hysterical because he really thought that because I could salsa dance that I was some kind of Asian salsa mack just racking up chicks which couldn't be further from reality. I pictured it from the girl's end "hmm..I want to meet an asian guy...why don't I take up... latin dancing?" Somewhere there, as I'd say when I was teaching the LSATS for Kaplan, the logic train is getting derailed. For a reasonably not horrible-looking Asian chick there's probably a ton of ways easier to find an Asian guy than going to all the trouble of learning to salsa dance and going out of your way to learn to salsa might be a slight indication that Asian dudes are not her bag of chips. But from Alberto's perspective my Asianness was an asset that should make me a novelty and commodity. It was pretty funny how we had completely different takes on it. I felt bad that I had to dissapoint him hahaha.

No comments: