Saturday, March 01, 2008

Life in the Ocean State (No Peter Griffin Sightings)

So far, I've been adjusting to life in Rhode Island a lot better than I thought I would, but there are still some things (cultural adjustments) I don't get. In no order:

  • Why do drivers, when they have the right of way, wave me in front of them? It's nice, but I'm a New Yorker, as a pedestrian, I don't trust drivers. Just go, take the damn light! This practice gets even stranger on 2-way streets, a driver on one side will wave me to cross ignoring the oncoming traffic coming the other way. Thanks, but no thanks. Even worse, is the miscommunication that happens at night when you can't see if the driver is waving you to cross and can't tell if you're going to take the free pass. It's an accident waiting to happen.
  • Bus stop signs. Would it kill you to write the actual bus line number that stops on the sign? It makes learning the bus system a lot more difficult.
  • No one shovels their walks here. I've almost busted my ass so many times here walking around. I don't get it, I guess it's not enforced, in NY we always hopped to it to avoid a ticket. I walk on the streets here and it's all ice. How are there not more lawsuits over this?
  • So far, not a big fan of the pizza dough up here (too thick, too mushy). I hear Sicilia's on Atwells is ok, but when I see a sign that says "NY Style pizza", I keep right on walking. Sorry Aneudy, even Saki's is probably not going to cut it.
  • I still don't like the license plates. The serif font is too big and that wave looks really cheesy.

No comments: