Saturday, August 18, 2007

NYC Marathon Training Kick Off


I'm training for the NYC Marathon and I'll be logging workouts here to keep myself on track. I downloaded a training schedule on RunnersWorld which has a handy training calculator that lets you plug in some variables to give you a personalized schedule. I was a little alarmed that its only two days a week, but the mileage makes sense and as long as a I stick to the intervals and do cross training on off days hopefully I will be ok. Here's the schedule. Its based on my:

Most recent half marathon time: 2:00
Weekly running base going into the training period: 10-15 miles/week
Target Race: Full Marathon
Race date: Nov 4, 2007
How hard do you want to train? Hard
Long run day: Sunday

My first official work out was last Thursday morning, a tempo run. I'm not used to running against an interval, but I did it:

1 mile warm up (my house to Astoria track)
1 mile 8:30 (on the track)
1 mile 8:30 (on the track)
1 mile 8:40 (on the track)
1 mile cool down (back home)

Tomorrow:
6 miles at 10:29 in Central Park.

For those of you interested, my cross-training is 2-3 dance classes/week (African and Salsa). I'd like to add in a 3rd running work out a week to do drills. I need to add in some strength training.

No comments: